Recently, there has been an upsurge in the creation of acronyms for using AI models like ChatGPT, but their effectiveness has been questionable. After careful analysis and consideration, I believe I have arrived at an acronym that truly encapsulates the most efficient and precise approach to using ChatGPT. Examine the following:
- P – Prompt
- E – Evaluate
- M – Modify
- A – Acknowledge
Allow me to delve further into each of these elements with greater depth and detail.
P – Prompt – To prompt ChatGPT, we are reading that the more specific the prompt, considering TANO Task to achieve, the Audience, the Non-negotiables, and the Output is a way to develop very directed output that one might call for. Some excellent ways to prompt the A.I. interface can also be examined here at Wired: https://www.wired.com/story/11-tips-better-chatgpt-prompts/
ChatGPT added, “The prompt is the starting point of the inquiry that we make to ChatGPT. It is essential to be specific about the task to achieve, the intended audience, the non-negotiables, and the expected output. A well-crafted prompt allows ChatGPT to generate highly directed output that meets our needs. For instance, in education, a teacher can prompt ChatGPT with a specific question related to a particular topic or subject. For example, “Can you explain the concept of natural selection in biology to a class of tenth-grade students?”
E – Evaluate – One needs to examine the results of the query in ChatGPT looking for bias, validity, and reliability. To do so:
- Cross-reference: Verify the information with multiple sources to ensure its accuracy and reliability.
- Consider the context: Deliberate whether the conditions and frameworks of the output are relevant, applicable, and personalized.
- Assess the language: Examine the language used in the output to identify any potential bias or inaccuracies that may influence the message.
- Consult subject matter experts: Consult with experts in the field to verify the accuracy and validity of the information.
- Analyze the data: Analyze the data used to generate the output and consider whether it is comprehensive, credible, and truthful.
- Review for ethical considerations: Review the output for ethical considerations such as prejudice, partiality, favoritism, discrimination, inclusivity, and diversity.
“After generating the output, it is crucial to evaluate the results to check for any bias or issues that may affect the quality of the output. In education, it is important to ensure that the generated content is accurate, relevant, and free of any bias that may influence student learning. For instance, if a teacher prompts ChatGPT to generate a response about a particular topic, they should evaluate the results to ensure that they meet the learning objectives and are suitable for the intended audience,” was generated by ChatGPT.
M – Modify – The modification is usually two-part here:
- First – is the need to modify the prompt, which may simply be digging deeper, breaking it apart, or re-directing.
- Second – is to modify the response to tweak it and personalize it for the intended audience.
“Modifying the prompt is often necessary when the output generated by ChatGPT does not meet the intended objective or is not relevant to the audience. In education, modifying the prompt may involve rephrasing the question or breaking it down into smaller sub-questions to help ChatGPT generate more relevant and accurate output. Similarly, modifying the response may involve tweaking it to align it with the learning objectives or personalizing it for the intended audience. For example, a teacher may modify the response generated by ChatGPT by adding additional examples or explanations that are relevant to the students’ learning level,” was supplemented by ChatGPT.
A – Acknowledge – Finally, in any instances where ChatGPT is used, ethically, morally, and often legally we are obliged to note that A.I. has generated the text or at least the idea that is being passed on to other users.
ChatGPT contributed, “It is essential to acknowledge that ChatGPT has generated the text or idea being passed on to others, both ethically and legally. In education, acknowledging the use of AI-generated content may help students develop a better understanding of the role that AI plays in their lives and the importance of ethical and responsible use of technology. Additionally, acknowledging the use of AI-generated content may help prevent any misinterpretation or misrepresentation of the information being presented. For example, a teacher may acknowledge that the content was generated by AI and provide additional context or explanations to help students better understand the topic.”