The first consideration always seems to be about aesthetic.
- What does it look like?
- Is it pretty?
But this is not enough, beyond this content becomes a factor.
- What is in the site?
- Are there gadgets?
- Are there games or things to keep people occupied and possibly even coming back? Included in content and leading to the next point is image size.
- Are the images made small enough so that they will download without problem?
- Are videos and music files resized properly to stream and download on slow connections?
The final consideration and one the I look at mostly now is usability.
- Is there a search function built in to the site or am I using an archaic sitemap?
- Does the site load well?
- Does it have an unnecessary Flash page?
- Does it have unnecessary Flash, animations, sound, hard to read fonts or bad use of colors?
- Are the buttons available in the same place on every page?
- Are they buttons logical or could they be grouped better?
- Is the content linked to itself and easy to find?
- Do the pages have continuity beyond the buttons?
- Is the site filled up? (for example, the site has been launched but you find placeholder text, “This is an example of a WordPress page, you could edit this to put information…”
- Is the site updated or stagnant? Will I come back to it?
- Is the site useful or interesting?
As a design I need to consider other things like:
- Is there good support from the site administrators?
- Is the site upgradable/adaptable to my needs?
- How easy is content addition/updating?
- Is it going to search rank well without outside factors?